Hello! I’m Deborah Chalk, and I’m a Martha Beck Certified Life Coach, qualified teacher and a writer. I live in Oxfordshire in England with my lovely husband, amazing daughter and twelve-year-old flat-coated retriever who fully believes he is still a puppy.
Finding my life’s purpose has been my biggest and more important journey. On that journey I’ve moved home ten times in eighteen years of marriage due to relocations with my husband’s job. I’ve worked in a merchant bank, other financial institutions, joined the Navy, trained as a teacher, taught in state and in private schools and then decided to explore my creativity more.
As part of this exploration I did a second degree in Creative Writing and Art History. I studied floristry, photography and interior design, hoping that each course would be ‘the answer.’
Through all of this, I had been reading coaching books. I’ve been reading and learning about coaching since I was thirteen. I worked with a coach and she helped me to realise what was right in front of my nose all along.
I love teaching and I loved helping people to claim their brilliance. I loved helping them see just what they were able to achieve when they finally were willing to own this brilliance. I loved helping them to step past all their old stories to claim the lives that at some deep level they longed for but had buried for a long time, mostly through fear of being disappointed.
My own life purpose is multi-faceted. It includes helping others around the themes of self-confidence, self-care, purpose, mothering, writing, career and being able to trust yourself.
It includes teaching and coaching. I love the written word. I love creativity and expressing it in different ways. I love being a mother and helping my child to grow too. I love being a wife and a dog owner.
I love continuing to learn and grow and never having to tie myself down to having one thing that I love to do as for me part of the joy is learning something new. It has been a huge journey for me to come to claiming my own purpose and I so want the same for you.
Martha Beck Certified Life Coach
Certificate in Life Coaching (National College of Further Education, UK)
M.A. (Hons) English and Philosophy
B.A. (Hons) in Creative Writing and Art History
Postgraduate Certificate in Education
Qualified Teacher status
Trained career coach
HOW WE CAN WORK TOGETHER
I work with kind creative people who are willing and able to feel responsible for their own actions. In particular, I work with kind women with big creative goals and dreams on building their business as part of a rich and fulfilling life and I also help them to create content and copy.
Other areas I can help with include career coaching and helping students with confidence and study management.
Currently, I offer 1-on-1 coaching sessions via phone or Skype, which you can do from anywhere in the world.
FUN, MISCELLANEOUS FACTS
- My flat-coated retriever sings when I play piano. He goes crazy for the A-Minor scale and contrary motion scales in particular.
- I have played the lead in two amateur musicals- ‘Dazzle’ and the Irving Berlin musical ‘Call Me Madam.’
- I used to know how to navigate a ship (who knows, it might be like riding a bike?).
- I grew up watching movies from the 1930s to 1950s. My favourites then were ‘Pillow Talk’ with Doris Day and ‘Some Like it Hot.’
- My favourite holidays are cottage holidays in Norfolk.
- I love to be inside when it’s raining outside as it feels so cosy.
- I take ballet classes six days a week.
- I once had a job in the education department of an aircraft museum and love vintage planes and cars.
- I order too many books from the library with the optimistic hope that I will find time to read them all. At the moment I am reading a lot of children’s crime novels and hope to write one one day.
- I love roses, velvet, good perfume and excellent chocolate.
- My patronus is a black and white cat and I am in Hufflepuff.
- I’m INFJ on Myers Brigg.
- I don’t drink alcohol because I don’t enjoy it and don’t swear much. I would never get a job as a pirate.
- I cook healthy food from books like ‘Deliciously Ella,’ and ‘Clean Eating Alice.’ When I was growing up I used to bake loads of cakes but now I don’t eat gluten or refined sugar, I still need to explore new kinds of baking.
- Coaching is my super-power. I don’t wear the cape for sessions, as it seems a little formal.